Do you rent a property in Marbella?. Changes in rental law13 Jan 2020 | Renting FAQ
We believe it is interesting and instructive, both for owners and for tenants, to make a chronological tour of the evolution of the legislation regulating rental contracts in order to know what to expect depending on the moment in which it has been signed, since there have been several changes in the legislation on rentals.
Starting from the legal premise where it is established that housing rental contracts are regulated by the law in effect on the date of their signature, we will then take a tour of time indicating the legislation applicable in each period in which the contractual document has been signed.
- Before May 9, 1985: Ley de Arrendamiento Urbanos de 1964 y Disposición Transitoria Segunda de la Ley 29/1994 de Arrendamiento Urbanos.
- From May 9, 1985 until January 1, 1995: Texto refundido de la Ley de Arrendamientos Urbanos de 1964, el Real Decreto Ley 2/1985 y la Disposición Transitoria Primera de la Ley 29/1994.
- From 1 January 1995 until 6 June 2013: Ley 29/1994 de Arrendamiento Urbanos.
- From June 6, 2013 until December 19, 2018: Ley 29/1994 modificada por la Ley 4/2013.
- From 19 December 2018 until 24 January 2019: Ley 29/1994 en la redacción del Decreto Ley 21/2018.
- From 24 January 2019 until 6 March 2019: Ley 29/1994 modificada por la Ley 4/2013.
- From 6 March 2019 onwards: Real Decreto Ley 7/2019.
As we can see, in a period of more than three decades there have been six modifications to the legislation on rentals in our country, with interventionist and tenant protection purposes in some, an increase in the supply of rental housing and a reduction in rents in others, and a relaxation of the rental market, all promoted by the legislative power in each period with the aim of implementing its economic policy, but with very different results.
We also note in this chronology that the concentration of changes in the legal regulation of rents has been greater in periods of crisis than in more economically stable periods, as can be seen by looking at the dates of the last ones, from 2013 to the present.
In a next article, we will list the new features in the current applicable legislation to make clear the latest changes as they happened in a short period of time, specifically three months, from December 2018 to March 2019.
The team of Benarroch Real Estate, from our office in El Pilar Shopping Centre, will be at your disposal for any question regarding the renting of your house offering you advice, as well as our program of Peace of mind rentals for owners and the information you need about the changes in the renting legislation.
Article by Brice Benarroch Mennessons13 Jan 2020